Ronan O'Gara could become the first man to earn an ERC Elite award for scoring 1,000 Heineken Cup points when his side welcome ASM Clermont Auvergne to Thomond Park on Saturday.
After 78 European outings and two Heineken Cup winners medals, O'Gara is just seven points away from the magic number after he scored 14 points in last weekend's 25-19 defeat to the French side on their home patch.
The Munster fly-half is already in possession of two Elite awards, a cap for making 50 Heineken Cup appearances, and the award for reaching 500 points.
O'Gara averages 14.2 points in European matches at Thomond Park. He has only failed to reach double figures in 21 of his 78 Heineken Cup matches and has scored seven or less points on a mere 13 occasions.
RONAN O'GARA'S HEINEKEN CUP SCORE SHEET
- He has scored in his last 61 consecutive appearances for Munster.
- He has failed to score in only 3 of his 78 games, one of which he came on as a 77th minute replacement
- Munster lost all 3 games in which he failed to score (Bourgoin 21, Munster 6 (rep); Northampton 9, Munster 8 (Final); Bath 18, Munster 5)
- He has scored all the Munster points in 6 matches - 15 v Stade Francais in 2001 (L); 9 v Leicester Tigers in 2002 (L); 12 v Toulouse in 2003 (L); 18 v Bourgoin in 2003 (W); 12 v Castres Olympique in 2004 (L); 6 v Leicester Tigers in 2007 (L)
- He has reached double figures in points on 55 occasions.
- He has scored 20 or more points on 11 occasions.
- His highest points tally in a game was 29 against Newport at Rodney Parade on 13 January, 2001. Munster won 39-24 and he scored 1 try, 3 cons, 4 pens, 2 DG.
- He kicked 8 out of 9 conversions in the 64-0 victory over Viadana in 2002.
- He kicked 7 penalties in the quarter-final victory over Biarittz Olympique on 28 January, 2001.
- He has scored more points against French teams than any other country - although he has a higher points average per game against Welsh clubs. He has never played against a Scottish team and played only five times against Italian opposition.
England 25 Games 275 Points 11 Ave
Scotland 0 Games 0 Points 0 Ave
Ireland 1 Games 20 Points 20 Ave
Wales 15 Games 218 Points 14.5 Ave
France 32 Games 422 Points 13.2Ave
Italy 5 Games 58 Points 11.6 Ave
- He has scored more than 100 points in a Heineken Cup campaign 6 times, with his richest return coming in 1999/2000 with 131 points in 9 games.
- His match average over 78 appearances is 12.73 points per game. However, if you take it over the 77 games in which he started - he was a 77th minute replacement against Bourgoin in his other appearance - his average rises to 12.90.
- At Thomond Park his average increases to 14.2 points per game. He has scored 370 points in 26 Heineken Cup outings in Limerick, although he has yet to score a European try at the ground.
- His match average in 19 knock-out games, including four finals, is 13.21. He has scored 251 points in the knock-out phase.
- His Heineken Cup final average is 8.25 points per game (0, 9, 13, 11).
- He has been through the scoring card - try, conversion, penalty and drop goal - on 2 occasions. Against Newport in 2000/01 and Harlequins in 2001/02.
As part of the build-up to next month's Cardiff 2014 Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup finals weekend, ERC has joined forces with the WRU, Cardiff Blues and adidas to develop an annual grassroots community rugby programme targeting young players.
The Ulster Rugby full back, Jared Payne (No 15), has been suspended for two (2) weeks following an independent Disciplinary Hearing in Dublin arising from the Heineken Cup quarter-final match against Saracens at Ravenhill Stadium on Saturday, 5 April.