The referee will also be able to consult with the TMO to review up to two phases (rucks or mauls) before the ball is grounded in the act of scoring. The TMO can also be called on by the referee to advise on incidents of possible foul play anywhere in the playing enclosure.
ERC Match Official Performance Manager, Donal Courtney, who carried out a comprehensive series of workshops with coaching staff from all participating clubs from England, France, Ireland, Italy, Romania, Scotland and Wales, said: "I made the point to the coaches that apart from the law trials there are no other changes to the refereeing of the game, and that the referees and assistant referees have been asked to focus on clear and obvious offences at the tackle, ruck, maul and lineout."
Following a meeting of the ERC Match Officials sub-committee, the referees for Rounds 1 and 2 of the Heineken Cup and the Amlin Challenge Cup were announced on Friday, 27 September 2013.
The Heineken Cup, which is widely regarded as the world's premier club rugby tournament, will get underway on Friday, 11 October when Romain Poite of France takes charge of an eagerly-anticipated Pool 5 clash between Ulster Rugby and Leicester Tigers at Ravenhill.
Two days later, Nigel Owens of Wales will referee the heavyweight French confrontation of Racing Metro 92 and ASM Clermont Auvergne in Pool 4 at Stade Yves du Manoir, and in Round 2, Owens will again be on duty when Saracens host four-time champions, Toulouse, at Wembley Stadium on Friday, 18 October.
The European club rugby season will begin with three Amlin Challenge Cup fixtures on Thursday, 10 October with Ian Davies of Wales refereeing arguably the match of round between Sale Sharks and the 2012 champions, Biarritz Olympique, at the AJ Bell Stadium.
Scrum engagement sequence
- Engagement sequence of 'Crouch-Bind-Set'
- Front rows should be in an 'ear-to-ear' position on the 'Crouch' command
- Referees will look for stability after the 'Set' command before saying: 'Yes 9', to prompt the scrum half to put the ball in
- Referees have been asked to be strict on non-straight scrum feeds
- Extended TMO powers
- TMO can be consulted to review up to two phases (rucks or mauls) before a ball is grounded for a try
- TMO can be consulted for incidents of possible foul play anywhere in the playing enclosure
- TMO can notify the referee of possible foul play at the next break in play after the possible foul play has occurred
- If there is a big screen in the ground, the referee can make a decision without requesting a recommendation from the TMO